We realize that sanding and finishing your wood floor can be a hassle. Magnus Anderson wants to take some of that hassle out of the experience. We can do that with our dust-free technology and quick-dry finishes. Here are some answers to frequently asked questions, so that when you do decide to refinish your floors, you will understand the process.
1. Can you describe the steps, from the time of my first phone call through the job completion?
- During the first phone call, we will set up a time for a free estimate. You will meet with our estimator, Eric Demille, for approximately an hour to go over your project.
- Within a day or two, Eric will send you an estimate for your project.
- If you are happy with the estimate, Eric will have our owner, Bob Hagen, email you with a potential project schedule. The schedule will specify the number of project days and what we will do each day.
- If the project schedule works for you, we ask for a 50% deposit to secure these dates in the schedule and buy supplies for your job.
- We will contact you the week before the job starts to go over any questions you might have. We ask that you have all the furniture moved from the room(s) before our arrival on the first day. We have recommendations for moving companies if you prefer to not move the furniture yourself.
- After we’ve applied the final coat of finish on the last day, you can walk (in socks) on the floor after 4 hours of dry time.
- We will follow-up with you the next day to make sure you are happy with the floors.
- A final invoice will be sent within a few days.
2. Can I stay in the house while you are doing the work?
- Yes. The equipment we use is noisy, though. The finishes we use are waterborne finishes that dry within 4 hours. You will not be able to walk on the floor during that dry time. The finishes are low VOC (volatile organic compound), but they do have a smell that should dissipate within a day or two. Most people prefer to be out of the house while we’re working and come home at the end of the day.
- Because of our dust-free system, the wood dust is evacuated out of the house as we sand the floors. So, you won’t have a mess of dust when you get home.
3. How long after the final coat is put down can we move the furniture back?
- The finishes we use cure after 48 hours. Furniture can be gently lifted and placed (not dragged) after 48 hours. All furniture should have protective pads, caps, or felt under the legs to avoid scratching the floor.
- If you have area rugs, they can be placed after 5 days.
4. Do you have maintenance instructions for our newly refinished floor?
- Yes. A hardwood cleaner can be used 5 days after the final coat. We recommend either Bona or Pallman Hardwood Floor Cleaners. Make sure you don’t use any cleaner that has wax or oil in it (namely Murphy’s oil soap). We don’t recommend water and vinegar. Water and wood don’t mix, and the vinegar is an acid that can dull floors over time. Click here for more information https://www.idealhardwoodflooring.com/design-center/floor-care/
- Vacuum or sweep your floor regularly to prevent scratching. We recommend general cleaning once a week. If you use a vacuum, ensure that it does not have a “beater bar,” for this will scratch your floor.
- Use floor mats at exterior doors to catch most dirt and grit. Use area rugs in high-traffic areas, at the ends of steps, and near doorways
- Examine your floor’s finish so wear is caught early, before complete refinishing is necessary.
- Maintain a consistent humidity level year-round in all areas with hardwood flooring. Excessive variations in humidity levels can cause hardwood to swell, shrink, cup, crack, and show gaps between boards. We recommend the use of humidifiers or dehumidifiers in areas where humidity is inconsistent.
If you have any other questions, feel free to call us. We want to make this process as easy as possible, leaving you with beautiful floors instead of frustration.